Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"Ningas-kugon"

It's a phrase which relates to a situation where one wants to do something or has a set goal; this person is very excited to do it at the start, but as time goes by and the enthusiasm burns down, the person loses motivation; the work is left unfinished.

To clarify this statement even more—as I know it's hard to understand the first time around—let me give you a common situation but in the dilemma of an author:


While sitting on a bench out in the open, or while drinking a frappe in Starbucks, an great idea comes to your head. You keep it in there for further notice. Then as the days go by, the ideas start filling up your head; and when you know you've had enough, you start putting the pieces together like a puzzle.


After a few sessions of thought organisation, you have the finished piece. It's story you have and really want to write and get started with.





You pull out your laptop or a piece of pepper and start writing whatever comes to your mind first. You follow this workout for a couple of days or even two to three weeks if you're that determined.


But as the words flow and time passes, you're out of ideas and don't know what to do anymore. You get writer's block. Suddenly, you notice how much the sun shines brighter at noon and how the flowers smell in your garden. You try to think of ways to distract you until you've totally forgotten about your novel.





And in the end, it will just be a document filed in your computer, waiting to be opened. You will not open it for the next years or so; because once you've forgotten all about it, new ideas start coming to your mind.


It's all a cycle. You get the idea. Puzzle it. Start working on it. You lose enthusiasm. You lose ideas. You get distracted. You forget about it. And it starts all over again.


In the end, when you've decided to spring clean all your files, you'll notice the hundreds of documents and files of unfinished novels.





And you'll say to yourself, "What have I done? Why couldn't I finish them when I had the chance?" You won't be able to go back anymore because you're too busy with other things in your life. You'll regret not finishing them until your dying breath. (sorry for causing that mental image in your mind.)



(Here's a kitten to take the image away)


That's exactly what I've been avoiding. For the past weeks, you haven't heard so much as a fly noise from me. And that's because I've been trying to avoid Ningas-kugon. And surprisingly, I'm succeeding. 

I started a novel last year but wasn't able to finish it. I started a new one at the start of April and I'm determined not to make the same mistake again. I don't want any regrets.

If you're curious, I already have 50,000 words, which already sums up a whole novel. But sadly, I'm only on the verge of finishing Part 1. So looking at where this is going, I still have a long trip to the end sentence. (Wish me the best of luck.)

I'll try my best to keep up with my blog even with my hectic schedule. Because even if I don't want to leave my novel unfinished, I don't want to abandon this blog either, especially when it's just beginning. It will also be Ningas-kugon if I started this blog with a hitch only to leave it after my third post.

So hopefully, you'll be seeing a lot of me this year. :)


Finish what you started and
don't make any regrets.
Go back to those old projects while
you still have time.
Try your best to finish everything and
keep and organised schedule.
Begin big, end big,
live an extraordinary life.

- (asayoungwriter) Bryanna

 photo image4137_zpsdff03955.png

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly how I feel about a lot of things! I lose enthusiasm in my 'projects' all too quickly! In fact, I'm scared I'm going to lose enthusiasm in my blog. Anyway, I love your's!!

    -M
    http://thelyfoflittleme.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100%! I write a lot, and end up doing exactly what you said in this post.

    Good luck on your novel!

    hellostrawberrie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! you have a cool blog!
    check out my blog @celiaboldizar.blogspot.com

    http://celiaboldizar.blogspot.com/?zx=5124f363ae3f546c

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally relate to this post! I hope you are doing well with your goals. :)
    Brittany - www.hellobubblegum.com

    ReplyDelete

I encourage everyone to comment and express themselves. I love hearing your thoughts! Please keep all comments pleasing to The Lord. Thank you for spending even a little bit of your time to read my posts and comment on them, I'm truly grateful. I promise to reply to each comment you have! Hope you could even spend the tinsiest bit of your time to go about and spread the word about my blog; I'd really appreciate it. See you around! - asayoungwriter